Wednesday, June 13, 2012

more positives from failure

Keep thinking of more things that were good about trying the race Sunday:
  • No new blisters! Well, other than from the flip flop run.
  • Doing a race with so much walking between parking/transitions was good practice for hauling stuff from hotel to IMLOU transition.
  • I'm now out to my neighbors as a triathlete-type, which helps my goals feel more real. Got body-marked at check-in on Saturday, thinking, "why not, I don't have anywhere to be," forgetting the neighbor's birthday party that afternoon – what a tool.  But it turns out that, with my pre-race goof, the wait to get marked on Sunday would have been the difference between making it to the start or not.
  • Got a pair of compression socks at the expo. 
  • Swam in conditions that cannot possibly be replicated at Louisville, but if they are, I'm ready.
  • Learned the swim is not my weakness.
  • Witnessed the reason I safety pinned my chip strap. 
  • Learned all my sustained efforts on the trainer did in fact transfer to climbing hills.
  • Learned my bike position is sustainable.
  • Discovered race excitement does not last for more than about 15 miles of the bike ride.
  • Practiced water bottle hand-offs. I was really nervous about those.
  • Got to test some of my nutrition plan.
  • Got to test my night before and race morning routines.
  • Was very impressed by the race staff and volunteers. 
  • Was inspired by the IronKids race going on during check-in. Those kids knew how to suffer.
  • Learned I need a different helmet (already taken care of), which would have been a very silly lesson to learn in an Ironman.
  • Am still proud of finishing that swim, like floating-on-air proud.  
  • Marked almost everything off my list as far as gear needed to race and train outside.
  • Got in 40+ miles of practice riding in traffic with frustrated farmers buzzing by (can't blame 'em, we were so spread out).
  • Learned Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple 50 SPF (has to be the Pure & Simple, the regular stuff is crap) gets the freckled, red-haired, swim- and sweat-proof stamp of approval.
  • Learned I will still carry a tiny tube of sunscreen on the bike just to alleviate any worries.
  • Saw someone only 3 minutes faster than I was on the swim get a Vegas slot. How cool.
  • I'm not usual googly about celebrities, but saw what a neat sport this is to be able to mingle with elite athletes.
  • May have finally succumbed to one excuse for quitting, but persisted through so many more before that point.
So, that's probably a wrap on Kansas 70.3. I need to put my energy into looking forward now, and I'm actually pretty excited to tackle my weaknesses, now that I know what they are.

5 comments:

Steve said...

OMG, I am glad I don't do tri's. Sounds like you have to know a lot. I am sure I would forget my bike and my shoes at the very least. :)

jsmarslender said...

Good perspective on things! Thanks for the update...

Alili said...

Great perspective - I think it's mandatory to have a 'learning experience' before the big dance. You've gotten the bad stuff out of the way, IMKY will be a giant celebration of your awesomeness!

Ketesha Frank said...

How i got my Desired Loan Amount from a Reliable Loan Company (Alexloancompany@yahoo.com)

Hello everyone, My name is Ketesha Frank, I am from the Alabama, United State, am here to testify of how i got my loan from Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company{ (Alexloancompany@yahoo.com) } after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum, i thought their lending was real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company, who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I had doubts but i never seize to believe. I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mr Adolf Alex, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I know there are still many good lenders out there but i would advise you to try Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company, his caring and understanding. don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also or want funding for your projects, So feel free to contact Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company his email address is ( Alexloancompany@yahoo.com) or Text: +1 270-971-4478

Ketesha Frank said...

How i got my Desired Loan Amount from a Reliable Loan Company (Alexloancompany@yahoo.com)

Hello everyone, My name is Ketesha Frank, I am from the Alabama, United State, am here to testify of how i got my loan from Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company{ (Alexloancompany@yahoo.com) } after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right here this forum, i thought their lending was real and i applied but they never gave me loan until a friend of mine introduce me to Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company, who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I had doubts but i never seize to believe. I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mr Adolf Alex, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for the better. I know there are still many good lenders out there but i would advise you to try Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company, his caring and understanding. don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan also or want funding for your projects, So feel free to contact Mr Adolf Alex Loan Company his email address is ( Alexloancompany@yahoo.com) or Text: +1 270-971-4478